"I was so happy with my decision to encapsulate my placenta! In the early weeks postpartum, I noticed a significant improvement in my mood and energy every time I took a capsule. They even boosted my milk supply!"
Artist, Mother, Yoga Instructor, Birth Doula, Owner of DO LOVE
Why Ingest Your Placenta?
The placenta is created exclusively through and for pregnancy to grow your child. If you think about it, this is probably a time you feed yourself much more nutrient rich foods while thinking of the child you are growing. This may include pregnancy vitamins packed with nutrients, as well as, high-protein foods and lots of anti-oxidant rich foods. At the same time, during pregnancy you are advised to abstain from alcohol, drugs, smoking, and other foods and substances that could potentially hurt your body or your baby. The placenta is made during this nutrient-rich time of increased consciousness. The placenta is the powerhouse, warehouse, and shipping dock for all of these nutrients and hormones responsible for creating your baby and bringing him or her life. You give A LOT throughout the course of pregnancy and the birth process. It is thought that you can regain some of this energy through ingesting your own placenta in the postpartum period. Given that the anecdotal evidence from people who have chosen to ingest their placentas has been very positive, the demand for placenta encapsulation has increased greatly.
Benefits of placental ingestion:
- May enhance milk supply
- May ease symptoms of Baby Blues and/or postpartum mood disorders
- May expedite healing time and decrease bleeding period for the uterus, vagina and perineal tissue (anecdotal reports of sub-lingual placenta exposure stopping postpartum hemorrhage are common)
- May increase energy
- No known risk of trying it. No harm, no foul.
List of Hormones and Other Nutrients in Placenta:
- Oxytocin – essential to birth your baby and facilitates breastfeeding, known as the love hormone, helps relieve pain, enhances bonding, helps uterus contract to non-pregnant state
- Vitamin E – heals damaged skin
- Vitamin B6 – aids in making antibodies
- TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) – boosts energy and helps in recovering from stressful events
- Interferon – stimulates the immune system, protects against infection
- Prostaglandins – stimulates involution of the uterus post birth and acts as an anti-inflammatory
- Gonadotrophin – the precursor to estrogen, progesterone and testosterone
- Prolactin – promotes lactation
- Hemoglobin – replenishes iron, which restores energy and prevents anemia, a common post-partum condition
- Urokinase -reduces bleeding and enhances wound healing
- Gamma globulin – immune booster to help prevent postpartum infections
- CRT (Corticotropin-Releasing Hormone) – reduces stress
Placenta Encapsulation Package Options:
- Tree of Life print – this is basically a stamp of your placenta using non-toxic paint. It looks like a colorful tree and shows the tree of life that fed and gave your baby life. Please email me if you would like a photo of what this looks like! They are beautiful!
- Placenta Tincture – a small piece of placenta is steeped in a high-grade alcohol for six weeks and then strained allowing you to have a very shelf-stable placenta remedy for years! This can be used in times of emotional stress, during PMS, or menopause. Some even put 3 drops of their tincture in water or juice and give it to their child when they are getting sick. It’s just like the herbal tinctures you find in health food stores but made from your very own amazing body.
- Placenta Capsules – using the Traditional Chinese Method in preparing your capsules, your placenta is lightly steamed with slices of lemon and ginger. Once steamed, the placenta is thinly sliced, dehydrated for eight to twelve hours and then ground into a very fine powder. This powder is then encapsulated.
- Umbilical Cord Keepsake – during the dehydrating process of your placenta, your baby’s umbilical cord can be dehydrated as well. This may seem strange, but it turns out pretty cool to see! The veins that fed your baby become visible and this brilliant cord that attached the two of you for about 10 months can be kept as the treasure it is or maybe buried, or anything else your heart desires.
I am no longer encapsulating placentas, however, I have two awesome referrals for you that I send my clients to every time! And every time they are SO HAPPY with the results.
Brittany Duncan – https://www.birthservicesbybritt.com/services
Aileen Larson – email at email@example.com or call/text 612-408-9035